Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Heart of a Dolphin

Dear Student,

Thank you for recommending that I read Heart of a Dolphin by Catherine Hapka. I enjoyed this story of a young girl and her friendship with a bottle-nose dolphin. This story reminds me a story I wrote when I was about your age about two young kids and an orca they befriended. I remember being really upset when the movie Free Willy came out because it was so similar and I would never get it published now! :-) 

Annie is the main character in this book, and she is feeling a little left behind. Her parents are always busy with work and her best friend has recently started making new friends and is more interested in boys and fashion magazines all of a sudden. One day, she and her brother find a dolphin tangled in fishing line and Annie is able to save him. The dolphin, who she names Squeak, seems to trust her and begins to visit her in the cove near where she lives. Squeak is a blessing to Annie during this unsure summer as she deals with friendship and family situations. 

I am so glad you recommended this book to me. I really liked it! Since you loved this book so much, I have a recommendation for YOU. Be sure to check out Seaglass Summer by Anjali Banerjee. 

Sincerely, 
Mrs. Marquardt

No comments:

Post a Comment