Saturday, February 28, 2015

El Deafo


El Deafo by CeCe Bell is a graphic novel memoir about a young girl who has profound hearing loss.  A memoir is autobiographical in nature, so this book is based on the author's real life and real experiences. This is the first book I have read about a little girl growing up with hearing loss.  I could really relate to this story, because I, too, grew up with hearing loss.  While CeCe had more severe hearing loss than I do, I made so many connections--having meningitis, reading lips, how hard it was to understand teachers sometimes, feeling fearful people were going to make fun of my hearing aid or the way I talked--there is something to be said about reading a book about something you can relate to! Have you ever read a book and thought, "Hey, this is about me!" It makes for a powerful reading experience.  Isn't this what reading is about...finding books that speak to us?

CeCe is four years old when she gets very sick with meningitis (which there is an infection in the fluid of your brain--very serious).  She gets better, but she realizes she can't hear.  CeCe has profound hearing loss.  Her audiologists give her something they call a Sonic Ear.  She wears earphones and her teachers wear a microphone so she can hear what they are saying--directly into her ear.  CeCe doesn't want to wear it because she thinks it makes her different. She soon realizes, though, that her Phonic Ear gives her a great "super power"--she can hear EVERYTHING her teacher says and does.  I love how she spins this so positively; CeCe can do something other kids cannot. Mostly, CeCe is like every kid--what she wants more than anything is a best friend.  This book is about CeCe's experiences through elementary school including issues with friends, how her mom drives her a little bit crazy sometimes, her first crush and finding a true, amazing, wonderful best friend. This book is funny, touching and easy to relate to as you read it.  I would absolutely recommend this book! If you would like to borrow a copy to read, come see me.   Check out the book trailer below.

No comments:

Post a Comment