Sunday, February 22, 2015

Winter Illustrated Texts

Today I chose to write about two illustrated texts I recently read that are both about winter.  I know this time of the year (February), most people are ready for winter to be OVER.  My son said to me the other day, "Mom, I am tired of winter. I want it to be summer." Many of us probably feel that way.  Truth is, winter is beautiful and lovely (even if we are ready for warmer weather).  Here are two books that celebrate winter and its beauty.  Over and Under the Snow by Kate Messner begins with a young girl cross country skiing with her father.  When she notices a squirrel disappearing down into the snow, her father tells her she may be skiing over the squirrel.  A story of all the creatures who live over and under the snow unfolds.  By the way, Kate Messner has penned MANY, MANY non-fiction books worth taking a look at.  Check her out the next time you are at the library.  The next winter book is Winter Bees and Other Poems of the Cold by Joyce Sidman and Rick Allen. This book is both poetry and informative.  Each two-page spread shares a poem and an informative passage about different animals in winter.  I learned so much about these animals! The illustrations are quite lovely as well.  Both of these books teach us about what happens to many animals during winter...where they go and what they do.


No comments:

Post a Comment